IAN Science Communication Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Wetland X-Section Diagram  (Read 11072 times)

Offline kreay

Wetland X-Section Diagram
« on: June 24, 2005, 11:18:53 am »
Hi,

I created this illustration as part of the Field Guide to Virginia Salt and Brackish Marsh Plants.  I have attached .ai and .gif versions of the illustration and .pdf version of the whole brochure.  The "salt marsh bushes" are little IAN symbol trees!  It is my first attempt at a concept diagram but will certainly not be my last.....it has caught on like wildfire here at CCRM and everyone wants one for their projects!

Karen

Offline AdrianJ

• Administrator
Re: Wetland X-Section Diagram
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 05:35:02 pm »
Hi Karen,

Thanks for posting your diagram and brochure. It looks excellent and I like color coding of the zones in the diagram to the boxes around the species. A few comments for you:

• The diagram could benefit from the Illustrator knife tool to clean up the left and top edges  - I noticed that aren't quite right
  • The wave height and lengths for all the water levels are different - this could be construed as representing something
  • I would like to see a 'no inundation' label on the far right of the diagram - also, all the zones labels here should be the same font size
  • I would like to see a legend on the diagram detailing the various plants represented
  • The colors used for the zones in the diagram don't exactly match those used in the brochure - they are close, but the dropper tool in Illustrator would let you get them exact
  • The legend of colors on the front page of the brochure is possible a little confusing - I think that making the lines around the various plants thinner would be better so that when you make the legend, they will look more like the frames around the plants, currently they look a little like boxes with a slit in them -  are the size of the slit is not identical in them all - it usually helps to make one and copy the original, only changeing the color
  • Where there are two photos for a particular plant, I would like them to be the same size - at a minimum, I think they should be the same width - it will make the layout look neater
  • The distance between the plant boxes is not uniform - in particular, note how close they are for the pink boxes at the bottom right of the two page middle spread compared with the two green ones above - also, the back page of the brochure is particularly off
  • The labels next to the plant height and blooming period are not lined up properly and consistently throughout the brochure
  • The labels on the key diagram at the bottom right of the front page are not well spaced, for example 'common name' is touching the arrow

Well that should keep you busy - sorry if some of those comments seem very pedantic, but I think these details can help to make your diagram and brochure more professional and will help to portray your message more clearly.

Also, I think that we definitely need some real salt marsh bushes - we'll add them to list and hopefully have them for the next version of the libraries.

All the best,

Adrian

Offline JaneT

• IAN Staff
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 10:13:19 am »
Hi Karen!

First of all, I think your diagram and brochure are looking great!

Adrian made some really good comments. I have just a couple of (also pretty pedantic) comments.

I agree that you need to make the four colors consistent between the diagram, and the rest of the brochure. I prefer the four colors used in the diagram ? the yellow and the green used in the brochure are a bit too ?neon? for me. Also, if you go to Adobe?s Studio Exchange website (http://share.studio.adobe.com/), there are a bunch of swatch palettes you can download for free, which have some cool colors.

I think the zone labels ?low marsh? etc, and the zone descriptions ?regular inundation? etc, need to be centered within the zone.

The top of the diagram can be cleaned up, also with the knife tool ? some of the colored boxes are taller than the others.

I would stick with sentence capitalization throughout the diagram and brochure ? just capitalize the first word, and use lowercase for the rest of the sentence or description.

Should the diagram label ?Landward limit of tidal marsh? be located in the Salt Panne zone, seeing as the Upland marsh doesn?t contain any tidal marsh?

The zone description for Salt Panne ? maybe put a comma after ?inundation?? Otherwise it sounds like it is infrequently inundated with salt.

In the brochure, make sure the annotated drawings are lined up with each other horizontally and vertically (actually, that goes for all the elements).

Hope this helps! Looking forward to seeing the final version!

Cheers
Jane

Offline kreay

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 11:44:14 am »
Hi Jane and Adrian,

Here is an updated version of the .pdf with the majority of indicated changes implemented.  I did not include the symbol key for the cross section illustration because of two reasons; first, we could not include all representative species in the drawing, and second, the key would take up more space on the page than we could afford along with the key for each boxed picture.  In addition, we had to include the citation for Mr. Tiner's drawings and the title so it was getting a bit cramped. 

Thanks for all your other suggestions though.  I think it made for a better publication.

Karen

Offline AdrianJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 09:12:54 pm »
Hi Karen,

Nice work!
Glad that we could be of some help. Hope the website is going equally as well.

Cheers,

Adrian

Offline kreay

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 01:56:56 pm »
Here is the final verion of the Field Guide to Virginia Salt and Brackish Marsh Plants.  It can also be obtained by going to our website at http://ccrm.vims.edu.  Thanks to Jane and Adrian for your critiques.

Karen

Offline kreay

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 12:41:05 pm »
Hey Guys,

After all this time, who would have thought the post to IAN would be helpful, but my computer crashed and I lost this diagram on my hard drive.  I thought of IAN and the discussion forum and there it was!  I backed up using my own post - how ironic!  Thanks for being there.

Karen

Offline AdrianJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 01:43:58 pm »
Hi Karen,

Glad we good be of use :-)

Cheers,
Adrian