Conceptual Diagrams / Symbol Libraries > Technical Assistance

Corel Draw 12 Import Problems

(1/6) > >>

btucker78:
Any advice on this would be great. I have downloaded and tried to import/open the EPS, SVG, and AI symbol files into Corel Draw 12. All of them fail. I either get "corrupt file" or I/O errors. By the way, these are absolutely brilliant graphics. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brent

AdrianJ:
Hi Brent,

First of all, sorry for the troubles you are having. I don't have CorelDraw to be able to test the eps or svg versions, but assume they should work ok. I have attached a single symbol in eps format for you to try. Maybe there is a problem with the way the eps and svg versions were created and the way Corel tries to import them. 

Please let me know if you can open this vector eps ok and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Adrian

btucker78:
I tried to open the attached eps file and it gave me the error "Problem importing file". Thanks for your response.

Brent

AdrianJ:
Brent,

I did a bit of googling and maybe found your problem. It seems that CorelDraw should be able to work with eps, svg and maybe even ai, but you need to use the import rather than the open command. I know your first message says that you used import/open, but thought I'd check anyway, just to be sure.

Another message said "Corel will open a .eps file ...sometime it is necessary to open it as "Postscript Interpreted"

I also read that some people have better luck with Corel at importing ai files rather than eps. The problem with the symbol libraries is that they are Illustrator symbols, which may not be recognized by Corel properly, so I have attached that fish again as a normal ai vector file to see if you can import it.

This is something I found which is a hack, but might be useful: http://www.oberonplace.com/vba/drawmacros/aiclipboard/. There are two tools, the second allows you to take objects copied to the clipboard in Illustrator and paste them into CorelDraw. This would of course require you to download a trial version of Illustrator from the web.

Please let me know if any of that helps.

Adrian

James:
I use CorelDraw 10 mostly and it is very forgiving on importing/opening files. I've brought down the IAN.eps and ai files and they have been totally unsuccessful. Also the fish.eps and fish.ai. CorelDraw throws a fit. Mayura throws a fit. Xarax throws a fit. Canvas 7 throws a fit. I am downloading the svg files but do not have much faith in them opening either. This is a shame because the pdfs are lovely and I've got a lot of uses for these graphics.

All in all I think there must be something seriously wrong with the graphics formats. Even allowing for hassles with graphics programs I have rarely had the problems I'm having with these.

regards, Erik

PS. A copy of fish.svg might be of interest since the svg bulk file is so big that I'd rather pre-test the svg file structure before clogging my drives with more electronic kludge.

regards, Erik

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version