IAN Science Communication Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: svg display problems Inkscape user on Mac  (Read 15930 times)

Offline DevinLyons

svg display problems Inkscape user on Mac
« on: August 13, 2013, 10:32:01 am »
Hi,

When I import the .svg files into Inkscape, they do not display properly. Many parts of the image end up being transparent. This seems to affect sections with colour gradients, but I'm not sure it is only them. Strangely, the previews display correctly and the images are OK if I simply open the file in inkscape (but this isn't handy if one wants to use more than one image). Any suggestions?

Devin Lyons

Offline AdrianJ

• Administrator
Re: svg display problems Inkscape user on Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:40:16 pm »
Hi Devon,

Sorry you are having trouble with Inkscape. I can confirm that I am having the same issues. Unfortunately I don't think there is much I can do as this appears to be a bug with Inkscape or with the way Illustrator exports to SVG. I can import the SVG versions of those symbols into Illustrator and everything works fine. I also don't know why Inkscape behaves differently when importing vs opening an SVG file. I will attempt to look into this further and get back to you.

Offline TimGrayson

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 11:19:51 am »
Hi Adrian did you find out how to fix this? I'm also having this issue and it looks like I'm not the only one. And did you try the 3 Week Diet or not?

Would be helpful if anyone knows how to fix this. Thanks.

Tim
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:06:26 pm by TimGrayson »

Offline AdrianJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 03:47:05 pm »
I am sorry, I don't have a solution for you. I just tried Inkscape 0.91 and the problem still exists. Maybe you should try filing a bug report with Inkscape?

There are some other free svg editors out there, but I am not sure how good there are. I tend to go with Illustrator most of the time and occasionally our online diagram creator:
ian.umces.edu/diagrammer which has direct access to all our symbols.

Offline AdrianJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:24:07 pm »
If you don't need to edit the symbols themselves, then Gravit (free and open source) might also be worth a look: http://gravit.io/

It can run your web browser or be downloaded as an app for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It's support for SVG seems strange - you can drag multiple symbols onto the canvas and they are scalable and appear vector, but are not editable. But at least you can build up a complete diagram without the problems of Inkscape. If you try it, let me know how it works out for you.