IAN Science Communication Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Candidates for a Conceptual Diagram?  (Read 2685 times)

Offline carolyn

Candidates for a Conceptual Diagram?
« on: September 25, 2009, 02:56:00 pm »
Hi all,

I have five hypotheses for a Bering Sea ecosystem study that I'd like to turn into conceptual diagrams. Although I've been to the workshop, I'm still not sure if these are "diagrammable." Do you think these hypotheses might make good candidates?

Physical Forcing Affects Food Availability. Climate-induced changes in physical forcing will modify the availability and partitioning of food for all trophic levels through bottom-up processes.

Ocean Conditions Structure Trophic Relationships. Climate and ocean conditions influencing water temperature, circulation patterns, and domain boundaries impact fish reproduction, survival and distribution, the intensity of predator-prey relationships, and the location of zoogeographic provinces through bottom-up processes.

Ecosystem Controls Are Dynamic. Later spring phytoplankton blooms resulting from early ice retreat will increase zooplankton production, thereby leading to increased abundances of piscivorous fish (walleye pollock, Pacific cod, and arrowtooth flounder) and a community controlled by top-down processes with several trophic consequences.

Location Matters. Climate and ocean conditions influencing circulation patterns and domain boundaries will affect the distribution, frequency, and persistence of fronts and other prey-concentrating features and, thus, the foraging success of marine birds and mammals largely through bottom-up processes.

Commercial And Subsistence Fisheries Reflect Climate. Climate-ocean conditions will change and, thus, affect the abundance and distribution of commercial and subsistence fisheries.

Thanks for giving this some thought,
Carolyn Rosner
North Pacific Research Board, Anchorage AK

Offline cwicks

• IAN Staff
Re: Candidates for a Conceptual Diagram?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19:45 am »
Hi Carolyn,
Glad to hear you are still using the techniques you learned while at Horn Point! I think each of these topics can be made into a diagram, although some may be easier than others. Can you tell us what they will be used for/what type of product they will be in (web, newsletter, book)? That'll help determine if they are worth putting the time and effort into.

Going down the list, I thought that the first few would lend themselves to comparison, mirror diagrams - current and future climate conditions. The 'Location Matters' one would be good on a map of the Bering Sea, showing the actual circulation patterns etc in the area. You'd need GIS for that or really good tracing skills in GIS. I think the last one may be the hardest to put into a diagram, unless you have a more detailed description of what you are thinking?

Also, as hypotheses, I think it's important to convey the uncertainty of these topics, using question marks, etc.

Good luck!
Caroline

Offline carolyn

Re: Candidates for a Conceptual Diagram?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 02:08:54 pm »
Hi Caroline!

Thanks for the prompt and thoughtful reply. I would envision these diagrams being used in print as well as on the web, and in PPT presentations, possibly. I would expect them to be reviewed by several people on the way to becoming final. As this program is going to continue for a few more years, I think it'd be worth an attempt.

If I can get a draft together I'll post here for critique. Thanks again, and hope you are enjoying a Chesapeake fall. We have snow on the mountains here, it won't be long ...

Carolyn