IAN Science Communication Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: tabular coral  (Read 7717 times)

Offline ciaram10

tabular coral
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:52:03 am »
Hi, I would like to request the creation of a tabular coral symbol for the aquatic invertebrate library. Tabular corals are from the genus Acropora and include A. hyacinthus, A. pluchra and A. efflorescens. Tabular corals are reef building corals which form flat tabular structures formed by polyp colonies. Their flat structure allows the coral to have a large surface area which enables maximum light exposure. I am interested in making a cross section of a fringing reef system and this symbol would be very useful as tabular corals are common in shallow reef systems, and dominate the reef flat of the particluar reef I am looking at. Thank you for your time.

Kind regards

Ciaram
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:41:13 am by TraceyS »

Offline TraceyS

Re: tabular coral
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:40:53 am »
Hi Ciaram,

Thanks for your request! We have some symbols of plate/tabular corals already uploaded under the Cnidaria category of our image library. You can download them here:

http://ian.umces.edu/imagelibrary/thumbnails-68.html

Cheers,
Tracey

Offline ciaram10

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:54:30 pm »
Hi Tracey,

Thank you for guiding me the right direction, those symbols are exactly what I need. Do you have any tips on how to save those into my symbol library for use with a base cross section? I can open them individually in Illustrator and I am able to save it as an AI file and copy it into the symbol file, but when I try to open it as a symbol I get the message: iil-symbol-plate-coral is still in SVG format and cannot be imported. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ciaram

Offline AdrianJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 08:30:42 pm »
Hi Ciaram,

I am not sure exactly what you have done to include the symbols in the symbol palettes, but you actually need to open the appropriate illustrator symbol file (ie: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS4\Presets\en_US\Symbols\IAN Symbols\Fauna\Cnidaria.ai") and then copy and paste the new symbol onto this page and then drag it into the main symbols palette and save the file. Then, it should be available from the symbol palettes.

Let me know if that is not clear and I'll write out some step-by-step instructions.

Cheers,
Adrian