William WhortonSave to Address Book (VCard)
Chesapeake Bay Program Office
410 Severn Avenue
Annapolis, MD 21403
Phone: (410) 267-5742
Web Developer at University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science
June 2014 - present
- Back end development in PHP and ExpressionEngine.
- Maintenance and updating of web products for the Chesapeake Bay Program, including ChesapeakeBay.net and BayBackpack.com.
- Development of software and processes to support CBP mission.
Quality Assurance Lead at Synaptic Advisory Partners
November 2012 - January 2014 (1 year 2 months)
- Salesforce development using Apex and Visualforce to create MVC-based web applications.
- Lead developer on Russel Hill Cancer Foundation’s web-based risk assessment site and patient information portal.
- Responsible for creating and instituting QA process for Synapse, a web application for patient record management.
Support Engineer at AllCity Wireless
July 2012 - November 2012 (5 months)
- Updated and improved user interface for network hardware using HTML, CSS, PHP, jQuery, and Perl to implement UI/UX best practices.
- Upgraded existing sites with technologies such as OpenID authentication, AJAX, and real-time location reporting using Google Maps.
- Developed public WiFi access site for the City of Miami Beach, including language localization and user account management.
Training Consultant at Abreon
July 2011 - October 2011 (4 months)
- Copyedited SAP training materials for Akzon-Nobel.
- Wrote task-specific work instructions based on client's business processes.
- Used learning management system (uPerform) to publish finalized training materials.
- Tested online training courses to ensure functionality and conformity with project standards.
February 2009 - Present (4 years 5 months)
- Website design and development focused on creating visually appealing, content-rich user experiences.
- Writing, content and developmental editing, and proofreading.
Training Developer at SoNoted LLC
October 2009 - October 2010 (1 year 1 month)
- Interviewed SMEs and department heads to design SAP training program for the Comptroller of Maryland.
- Created online training courses using uPerform (learning management system).
- Designed, wrote, and edited training materials, including work instructions, quizzes, and reference materials.
Web Content Editor at DCP Group
May 2009 - October 2009 (6 months)
- Proofread educational content for Sylvan.
- Migrated learning modules to a new content delivery system.
LANGUAGES AND EXPERTISE
- Web Development
- HTML (4 and 5)
- CSS 3
- Web Design
Russel Hill Cancer Foundation Risk Assessment Site
April 2013 to June 2013
City of Miami Beach Public Wifi Access Site
August 2012 to October 2012
As part of a contract with AllCity Wireless, the City of Miami Beach purchased network equipment for the purpose of offering free WiFi accounts, and requested an account signup, authentication, and management system. As half of a two-person development team, I was responsible for the design and coding of the front end UI, including login and authentication, account creation forms, and language detection and translation. On the back end, I wrote account maintenance scripts to remove old, unused accounts and log out idle accounts. All code was written using a combination of PHP, HTML, CSS, Perl, and C.
Anne Arundel Community College
University of Maryland University College