The greatest Integration and Application Network resource is not IAN’s products or web tools, but the talented and committed IAN science communicators, integrators, analysts, students, and interns. IAN staff have been at the forefront of science application and integration since 2002, pioneering new techniques of science communication, stakeholder engagement and report card production. The IAN staff can be grouped into six categories:
- Science Integrators have training as research scientists. They have developed synthesis skills and they work closely with various partners to apply scientific results.
- Science Communicators have training in research and have developed graphical design and layout skills for a variety of print and electronic media.
- Data Analysts have a diversity of technical training. They work in simulation modeling, data interpretation, geographic information science, web production and design, and statistical data analysis.
- Graduate students have developed natural and social science skills and advanced the scholarly development of IAN into areas of stakeholder engagement, citizen science and transdisciplinary science.
- Interns are recent graduates with Bachelor or Master degrees that spend one or two semesters with IAN, mentored by Science Communicators.
- Administrative support staff have training in financial accounting and project management. They provide information technology, financial accounting, and help manage the complex suite of ongoing IAN activities.